Friday, January 7, 2011

Glistening Blackish Slug Dragon


I'm a concept art junkie. I have a massive folder on my computer (horribly disorganized) full of "right-click, save image as..." pictures of drawings, paintings, and admittedly a number of photos as well that depict a subject, an expression, a style, even simply a specific combination of colors that get to me, almost always as something I want to see in a movie. My biggest haunt, in that regard, is deviantART, which I usually visit once or twice a week, going through a routine, but expansive exploration of the site. One year I even made a glossy, binded calendar for myself using art that I "borrowed" from the site, with some months being single images but most being elaborate collages based on monthly themes.

As will be seen as my blog unfolds, I have been slooowly building up my art skills and use self-made imagery for storyboards, my friend's album art, avatars, and backgrounds. I have taken drawing and oil painting classes (both of which I really enjoy) but my main output is digital painting and photo manipulation using Adobe Photoshop and my Wacom Intuos4 Tablet.

ConceptArt.org has a daily sketch group, of which I occasionally participate. They provide a simple description (such as Robot Ghosts, of which I did one or two) and everyone submits there ideas. These tend to be "quick sketches" but since most of the people on this site are professional concept artists a lot of them tend to look really, really, good compared to my stuff, but I do what I can. Having not tried for a while, I did this one today. Not my most refined work, but it took two hours just for this so lay off. I honestly like the look of the pencil drawings leading up to this better than the finished product. Also, try not to think to hard about the orientation of the wings, or how much goo can possibly be contained within a single sluggon. Poor little knight, he got slimed.

No comments:

Post a Comment